This is the best roasted tomato basil soup I’ve ever tasted. I’m not just saying that because I made it but I was speechless when I took my first sip of this soup that came out of my Vitamix blender. It is so flavourful and there are so many layers that give so much depth to this soup. Paired with an amazing grilled cheese sandwich, this is the ultimate comfort lunch meal.
What makes this Roasted Tomato Basil Soup so great?
Heirloom Tomatoes: These tomatoes are bred for desirable traits like juiciness, size, and flavour. Getting these from the local farmers market will ensure you get even greater tasting heirloom tomatoes.
Roasting: Vitamix soups are great since the Vitamix blender can spin its blades fast enough to make soup. But this recipe takes things one step further by roasting key ingredients to develop a richer layer of flavour.
Creaminess: The creaminess in this recipe comes from roasted cashews which gives a unique richness to this tomato soup without introducing dairy.
Chicken Broth: A lot of tomato soup recipes just use vegetable broth. This recipes uses a chicken broth to create an extra dimension of flavour.
Cashews: Don’t have roasted, unsalted cashews on hand? Sub for some cream or some whole milk if you have those handy.
Heirloom Tomatoes: These really are the star of the recipe but if you have trouble finding these, go for some Roma tomatoes.
Chicken Broth: Use whatever broth you have available. Vegetable broth will work just fine in a pinch.
Havarti Cheese: Some other good choices for the grilled cheese are sharp cheddar, smoked gouda, munster cheese, or monterey jack. But really, just use your favourite!
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup & Grilled Cheese
- Vitamix Blender
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
For the tomato basil soup
- 4 medium sized heirloom tomatoes cut in halves
- 2 carrots cut in halves
- 1 stalk celery roughly chopped
- 1 small cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and cut into quarters
- ½ cup basil adjust depending on your preference of basil
- ½ cup roasted, unsalted cashews
- ½-1 cup chicken broth increase or decrease depending on desired thickness of soup
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the grilled cheese
- 2 pieces sourdough toast
- 2 slices havarti
- 2 tbsp mayo
Vitamix Tomato Basil Soup
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Toss tomatoes, carrots, red bell peppers, and garlic cloves with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes until slightly charred.
- Place roasted ingredients and all the extra juices into the Vitamix along with the celery, cashews, and vegetable broth. Blend on high for 10 minutes or use soup setting on the Vitamix smart series.
- After 10 minutes of blending, place basil into the Vitamix and pulse or blend until desired texture.
- Adjust salt and pepper seasoning to taste.
- Heat a cast iron pan or skillet on medium-low heat.
- Spread mayo on both pieces of sourdough bread. This will give your grilled cheese a nice crunchy, golden exterior.
- Place mayo side toast down, along with the cheese, and the other piece of toast with mayo side facing up.
- Cook on medium-low until the toast starts to turn a golden colour underneath.
- Flip grilled cheese and cook until golden colour on the other side.
- roasting your vegetables helps develop a much richer flavour for your Vitamix soup
- cashews help give creaminess to the soup without having to use dairy
- use your favourite type of cheese for your grilled cheese, it makes the perfect complement to this roasted tomato soup
- save time and cook your grilled cheese while your Vitamix is blending your soup
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @blenderchefclub on Instagram and hashtag it #blenderchefclub.